Billington Sea, Plymouth, MA

 Billington Sea is a warm water fed pond in Plymouth, MA that seems to be a very popular spot and supposedly holds some big bass in the 5-7lb range. I fished there recently and unfortunately did not have much success finding any lunkers, but did pull in about 8 bass in 3 hours. I didn't fish anything to the west of Hathaway point but I'd like to go back and try again as I know my luck will be better the next time around.

This pond has a little bit of everything when it comes to structure. Along the northern shore, near the boat ramp, you'll find some lilly pads and some bushes that you can fish. There's a creek mouth in the northeast corner that gets pretty shallow but definitely holds some fihs. Along the southern shore, where it is more developed, you'll find plenty of docks to target. The outer edges are shallow, anywhere from 1-5ft deep, while the middle drops down to about 10 ft.  The island in the middle offers some quick drop offs that I fished with my MS Slammer and a shallow diving scatter bait to see if I could find any bass hanging around the ledge. There's also a good amount of downed trees if you can find them, I've marked a few on the map below.

Most of my success came along on the eastern shoreline and in the cove in the southeast corner. I had multiple top water strikes as I fished my senko worm quickly, trying to cover ground. I also caught a couple on a fat body crank bait, working it just outside the weedline.  I think the next time around, I would focus more on the windblown points where it drops off quickly and throw some larger swimbaits, like my Spro SB BBZ60 or Spro BBZ-1 Rat.

As far as I can tell, there is no shore access outside of  the boat ramp and maybe Hathaway point, if the road is open. When I first arrived, I went through Morton Park, only to see that the road was blocked off. You'll want to access the boat ramp via  Morton Park Road, off of Billington St.

More to come after my next trip here. 

Successful Baits:
Shore Fishing?  No
Boat Access? Yes - Morton Park Rd
Boat Ramp? Yes, but not paved.
Avg/Max Depth: 5 ft/10 ft


Click here to see Billington Sea on Google Maps

3 comments:

  1. Super blog and your presenting style about the Big Bass Tour that's are very appreciated good work.
    2017 Big Bass Tour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most valuable and fantastic blog I really appreciate your work which you have done about the khmer fishing,many thanks and keep it up.
    khmer fishing

    ReplyDelete
  3. hathaway pt. to the other point across, best fishing spot on whole pond

    ReplyDelete